Chronicles of our quest to find something fun to do that is local and inexpensive or, dare I say, free!

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mabel Rush Saturday Festival


I went to Mabel Rush Elementary school in Newberg during kindergarten, now my little brother goes there. Because my dad lives directly across the street, Mabel Rush has been a fun place to visit for a long time. During high school, I remember spending many of my summer days hanging out with friends on the playground, playing catch with my dad in the field, and listening to numerous sporting events on weekends. Mabel Rush has always been a big part of my childhood, and today it became a part of Liam's.
Luke and Liam Listening to the music

The school hosted a Saturday carnival today of kids and their families. The carnival included several booths with games, activities, prizes, raffles, & arts and crafts. There was a band (I'm assuming the high school band) that played in cafeteria that Liam absolutely loved. In fact, he helped them entertain the crowd by doing his "boody shake" for the audience. There were many food options and a clown that walked around creating balloon animals, swords, and hats for the kids. Although it was very family friendly and there was more than enough to do, it was a bit too busy for Liam's pre-nap demeanor.
The amazing band


My little guy had a wonderful time! He played quite a few games and brought home some fun prizes. He enjoyed watching all of the other kids run around and play. Outside, there were a couple of really fun activities as well. There was a huge bounce house with a slide, sno cones, popcorn, and (my favorite) the dunk tank. It cost $7 a child over 3 to receive a wrist band that let them participate in everything offered. For kiddos under 3 everything was free! It was also free of all adults.

  
Liam playing the "Angry Birds" game
Bowling!
 This was a wonderful way for the community to give back to such a wonderful school, and a great way to entertain my little man for an afternoon. When we finally made it home for that nap, he slept for three and a half hours! Which was wonderful for his mommy and daddy. I don't know whether this will be a yearly, monthly, or weekly activity, but the website does say that today was the "first", which I hope means there will be many more to come!
It was packed!

No comments:

Post a Comment